I’ve been obsessed with making a bowling style bag lately. I couldn’t find a pattern so I decided I would just make one myself. I’m excited to show you my prototype.
I think this is a good first stab at this project. Here’s what I’ve got right:
- I’ve got the right mix of stabilizers to make the bag sturdy yet not too hard to sew
- The size is good. It’s about 12 inches wide by 14.5 inches high, by 5 inches deep.
- I like the shoulder strap
- The way I constructed the bag worked well
- I like the detail of the piping (can I get a hallelujah for the piping foot?! I just bought one and it’s like a miracle.)
Here’s what I like to improve on in version 2.0:
- I’d like to exaggerate the shape so it looks more like a bowling bag and less like a diaper bag (though the fabric might be contributing to the diaper bag look)
- I’m thinking about adding handles as well as the shoulder strap
- I need to use a shorter zipper
- I need to raise where the shoulder straps are attached to the side of the bag
My final version of this is going to be done in a laminate so it has a retro look.
I welcome any feedback you may have. I’m thinking of writing up a pattern and offering this as a free tutorial. I’d love to know what you would want.